This is part of a six week series to begin learning about race in America.
After learning the past six weeks about racism, racial reconciliation, and police brutality, it may be helpful to learn about specific calls for change. People have different perspectives on justice, and you may not agree with every approach, but it’s important to gain understanding rather than make assumptions. I encourage you to read the following articles with a desire to learn why people are asking for specific changes in response to police brutality.
Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions.Proverbs 18:2
- I was a police chief stopped by my own officer. (Detroit Free Press Opinion)
- Calls to reform, defund, dismantle and abolish the police, explained. (Article)
- How qualified immunity makes it difficult to hold police officers accountable (Article)
- What do you think the strengths and weaknesses are for reforming, defunding, dismantling, and abolishing the police?
- Do you think officers should have qualified immunity?
- What would I like to learn more about and why?
Continuing the Process of Learning
As this guided learning comes to a close, I encourage you to continue learning about things that spark your interest. Create a month learning plan for yourself based on the materials below or other reliable materials you’ve heard about. Every person learns differently, so some may find movies and podcasts more beneficial. Others may find books or articles most beneficial. Do what’s best for you to have endurance in your learning. I encourage you to create a mix of things. One week a documentary. One week an article. Another, a podcast. Maybe you will listen to a podcast every week and choose one other thing to read. I would rather you learn sustainably and learn information in a digestible way than to burn out quickly. If you would like any suggestions, please reach out to me! You can always message me on instagram.
- Black History Month Public Library
- Anti-Racism Resources
- IVP Resources for Faithful Justice
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man
- Online Articles
Documentaries, shows and movies (not a comprehensive list)
- Little Fires Everywhere
- I Am Not Your Negro
- Time: The Kalief Browder Story
- When They See Us
- Oprah Winfrey Presents: When They See Us Now
- The Hate U Give
- Just Mercy
- Do The Right Thing
- The Freedom Writers
- Fruitvale Station
- 12 Years A Slave
- If Beale Street Could Talk